About the service
Omastadi.hel.fi is a service for participatory budgeting built on the Decidim platform, which is being developed through international cooperation led by the City of Barcelona. The OmaStadi service is maintained by the City of Helsinki.
YouTube video about the Decidim software.
Any creative content subject to copyright, such as texts, pictures, fonts, sound recordings and videos, that is submitted to the service by the user is published on the terms of the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA licence:
Creative Commons licence BY-NC-SA 4.0
All data in the service is published as open data, under the terms of the Open Data Commons Open Database Licence (ODbL).
The illustrations on the website have been produced by visual artist Minna Alanko.
Data protection in the web service
The OmaStadi.hel.fi service is maintained by the City of Helsinki. The City is committed to protecting the privacy of the users of its online services in accordance with the Data Protection Act (2018), the EU General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679) and other applicable legislation.
Method of collecting data
When the user registers for the service, basic personal data will be collected from them.
Users can log into the service via the Tunnistamo service, in which case the user will register for the service as a employee or student of the City of Helsinki; or via third-party services, which include YLE, Facebook and Google. These services also collect user data.
Data to be collected
The following basic data is collected from private individuals using the OmaStadi service:
- email address
- the user’s unique nickname in the service
- when using social media log-in options, the user’s profile picture.
The following data is collected from organisational users (group users) of the OmaStadi service:
- email address
- name of the organisation
- filing reference or business ID of the organisation
- telephone number of the organisation.
In addition to these, the following unique personal data will be used in connection with strong authentication in the voting stage to verify the user’s right to vote and identify the user:
- pseudonymised personal identity code
- date of birth
- municipality of residence
- postal code.
Similarly, the following are collected from pupils and students logged in via Wilma:
- grade reference
- municipality of residence.
For all users of the service, the IP address and browser data will be collected as log data. This data will only be stored for a limited time.
Recording and protection of data
The City is committed to ensuring the data protection of its customers and that outside parties cannot access the data in the system.
Information about the cookies used on Omastadi.hel.fi
- Matomo user tracking _pk_id.*omastadi.hel.fi
- Cookies from the embedded videos of the Helsinki-kanava channel
- JSESSIONID – essential cookie allows users to visit the website.
- GUEST_LANGUAGE_ID – language option used by the user.
- Icareus-device – cookie for the video server.
- nmstat – Siteimprove statistics cookie that collects information about the user’s behaviour on the website.
- COOKIE_SUPPORT – facilitates managing cookies on the website.
- _utmz.helsinkikanava.fi/ – saves information about from where the user came to the website.
- _utma.helsinkikanava.fi/ – collects information about the user’s behaviour on the website.
A cookie may be saved on the user’s device permanently, in which case the website will remember the user when they return, even if they have closed the browser in the meantime. A cookie may also be session-specific, in which case it will be removed when the browser is closed.
Cookies may be first-party or third-party. First-party cookies are placed by the website the user is visiting. Third-party cookies are placed by an outside party.
For which purpose is data collected?
The website automatically collects the data specified below about the users. This data is used to improve the user interface and user experience of the website and to monitor statistically the numbers of visitors. The data is not handed over to external parties.
What kinds of data is collected about the service’s users?
The data collected for the visitor statistics of the service is anonymised so it cannot be connected to an individual person. This data includes:
- the IP address used to access the City’s website
- the time the service was accessed
- the pages used in the service
- browser type
- regional location data, which cannot be used to identify the user.
Is data transferred from the service to other services?
The pages might include content from service providers external to the City, such as embeds from map services or social media channels. The privacy protection of these channels and services is the responsibility of their owners. This service uses third-party cookies from the Here Maps service and the embedded videos of the Helsinki-kanava channel.
Links to individual pages can be shared to Facebook and Twitter via small buttons on the pages. No data relating to the person is transferred to social networking services with the address.
For how long is the data stored?
We only store the data for as long is it necessary for the purposes specified here. The stored data do not include unique personal data.
The data in the user profile will be stored for five years, but the user is able to remove their data from the service whenever they wish.