The participatory budgeting ideas and proposals must meet the following criteria:
- They must comply with Finnish law and the City of Helsinki’s values and strategy.
- They must be within the City’s powers to implement.
- Permanent staff cannot be hired through participatory budgeting. Participatory budgeting is intended to fund fixed-term services and operations.
- They may not contradict an existing zoning plan or the City’s other decisions that are in effect.
- Participatory budgeting may not be used to apply for a grant for a party external to the City of Helsinki, such as an organisation or a company.
- The cost of an individual proposal may not exceed half (50%) of the total funds allocated to the district in question.
- The cost of an individual proposal must be no less that €35,000.