How do I vote?
You can cast your votes online on the OmaStadi website. Voters must use a strong identification method, such as online banking ID, to log in. Anyone aged 12 or over and living in Helsinki may vote. Schoolchildren may use their Wilma ID to vote. Using strong identification ensures that only those who are eligible are able to vote.
The City promotes the online voting system but will also provide assistance to voters at specific service points. In addition to this, the City’s residents may vote at certain service points of the City by showing their ID.
Here's how to vote:
- Identification: Confirm your identity with online banking codes or a mobile ID. If you are a student in comprehensive school or upper secondary school, you can sign in using your Wilma ID. Strong identification ensures that only those entitled to vote can do so.
- Select voting area: Everyone can vote on the proposals concerning the City of Helsinki as a whole. Additionally, each voter can vote for the proposals for a single area. The system will suggest a voting area based on your place of residence, but you can also change your voting area by selecting it from the list.
- Search proposals: Look up proposals from your chosen area as well as those for the whole city of Helsinki. You can use the search functions to filter the proposals.
- Select proposals: Add a proposal to your voting cart by clicking “Add to voting cart”. You can remove a proposal from the voting cart by clicking “Remove from voting cart”. You can see all the proposals you have selected and how much of the budget you have used as well as how much you have left by clicking “Show voting cart”.
- Preview and vote: Before casting your vote, you can preview all the proposals you have selected as well as their budgets. You can’t change your vote afterwards, so check your selection one more time. After you have confirmed your selection, cast your vote by clicking “Vote”.
- Thank you for your vote! Your vote has now been saved in the system and you can no longer change your vote. You can view the proposals you voted for in your profile in the “My Activity” section.